Friday, October 7, 2011


BK's situation has turned significantly for the worse. When I came home this afternoon, I found him in the side yard near the Dining Hall. I thought maybe he wanted some food, so I bought him some. I was right, he did want it and ate it up. However, I noticed he was limping very badly. He was working hard not to use his back right leg. While I was close to him and he was contorting in pain, I observed that he is an intact male.

I decided to further my attempts at capture so I could get him to the vet. My first attempt was to lure him into the enclosed front porch with some tuna and then close the door behind him. Then I would need to figure out how to get him. All was working good, he came onto the porch as planned but he didn't go for the tuna, he smelled one of the low lying kitty shelves then turned and sprayed pee on it. I wasn't expecting that as I hadn't seen him mark much at all outside. Needless to say, that didn't make me happy. I tried to close the door to trap him but he ran out.

My next attempt involved setting up the large wire kennel on it's side. I attached a weight to the kennel door and tied a string to it and brought the other end through the kitchen window. I planted a bowl of tuna and waited. The idea was, when I let go of the string, the door would slam shut and I would run out and secure the door. I was hoping the weight on the door would give him enough resistance that he wouldn't escape.

The moment came. He was in the kennel eating the tuna. I knew as soon as I let go of that string he would panic, so I hesitated but then I let it go. Sure enough he immediately panicked and forced his way through the bottom of the kennel. He darted over to his house and parked. After a few minutes, he limped behind his house, even worse than before.

I talked with Annie, my cat sitter, and the people at the vet's office to see if they had any suggestions. Annie suggested getting some tranquilizer to put in his food to knock him out. The vet wouldn't give me any though, which  I can understand. They suggested trying to trapping him and they provided me with some information about where I might be able to borrow some traps.

So, the plan is to secure a trap tomorrow morning and attempt to catch him. Knowing that he is out there in pain this evening kills me. How can I be comfortable in here when I know he is out there in such pain. It so breaks my heart and yet I don't know what else to do.

I'm also concerned that if I do capture him and take him next door to the vet, how much money am I willing and able to spend on diagnostics and possible treatment for a sick, lame and old stray? And if I do spend all that money, do I just let him go back into the yard again? My fear is that if I do manage to capture him and bring him to the vet, the sensible choice may be to put him down. And again, that absolutely kills me. Certainly leaving him in pain on his own is not a choice I'm willing to live with. Tomorrow may bring some difficult choices.


  1. Poor BK, and poor you...perhaps he has an abscess that can be cleared up easily. I will cross my fingers and hope for the best. The fact that he's eating is a good sign, though.
    If it is going to be pricey, please consider a chip in on your sidebar--there are a lot of generous folks in the cat blogosphere.

  2. I so hope you can get BK to the vet tomorrow. Yes if its expensive lots of us would chip in to help.

  3. I've been following this with great interest. You clearly carefor BK. Trust your judgment. You will do the right thing for him, even if it isn't what you want to do.

  4. We'll cross our paws that whatever is wrong can easily be treated. Whatever happens, we trust it's for BK's Highest Good.

  5. This is so hard....we hope you can catch him. In the meantime, don't worry too much until you know more. Remember that vets do have injectable antibiotics so that is always an option. Do what you can to keep him comfortable.

  6. This is my first time here. Don't let your self get too ahead of the situation with BK. Wait til you get him to the Vet. You know never know--there could be someone who would want an 'old stray'--we kittes have a place everywhere. Don't give up. I"ll say a prayer for you and BK.

  7. Trap BK and see what the vet says about his condition. He needs to be tested for Feline AIDS and Feline Leukemia. It is very important to know his status and the results will affect other decisions. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

  8. Trap BK now. Panic later.

    If you don't have a PayPal or ChipIn, consider starting one. Five or ten dollars each from a couple hundred people adds up pretty quick.

    Once BK is neutered, he should become a much easier kittie to live with. Someone will find him a home.

  9. I for one would definitely chip in for this vet bill and I agree with Noir the Texas Tabby...take it one step at a time.

  10. I'm so late here, But I do agree with lots of friends here..One step @ the time ! and chip in is your good option. Trap BK is better than let's him go. He may get infection. Without your help he couldn't get better by himself.
    Paws Crossed and purrs hard for you. I hope all works out in the good way !
    Please Take Care

  11. I hope BK is all better soon, and you are able to trap him. It must be terrible to be an outdoor kitty and be feeling sickly. If he needs an antibiotic, Convenia is injectable and is just a one time shot.

  12. I hope it all works out for you and BK.
    xoxo Kassey


Thanks for sending in your comments!